Potato Cheese Bread
Loaded with 2 kinds of cheese and plenty of flavor, this moist and fabulous Potato Cheese Bread is a must-try! There’s no yeast in this bread, and it is unbelievably good! Golden brown on top and cheesy inside, this quick bread is too good to miss!
This cheesy potato bread is one of my all-time favorites. It is moist and flavorful and with two kinds of cheese in it, there’s cheese in every bite! It’s also quick to make, and it bakes in a cast-iron pan, so it gets a lovely crust on the bottom.
Potato Cheese Bread
I love this Potato Cheese Bread sliced and served with a heaping bowl of stew, but it’s as delicious toasted with a bit of butter. You can serve it in so many ways, but the best way is when it is still a little bit warm from the oven. Delish!
The secret to this potato bread is mashed and raw potatoes. The mashed potatoes infuse the bread with a great texture, while the grated potatoes add moisture and more potato flavor. The results are amazing, and I usually make a double batch because I can freeze one for later.
Why I love this recipe
- It is a yeastless bread, so there’s no rising time.
- It’s flavorful, moist, and fabulous!
- This bread is so easy to make, and it freezes like a dream, so double the recipe!
Gather these ingredients
- Mashed potatoes – Boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Raw potato – Peeled, grated, and drained.
- Vegetable oil
- Half and half cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese – Shredded.
- Parmesan cheese – Grated.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper – Optional, but it adds a subtle hint of spice.
- Fresh rosemary
How To Make The Best Potato Cheese Bread
- Preheat your oven to 375-F degrees and oil an 8-inch cast-iron pan.
- Combine the mashed and raw potatoes with the egg, egg white, both cheeses, half and half cream, and oil in a large bowl and mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper in another bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the potato mixture and blend well until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it with super clean hands 6-7 times.
- Form the dough into a ball and set it in the prepared cast iron pan.
- Cut an X onto the top of the dough with a sharp knife. Brush it with the melted butter and sprinkle with fresh chopped rosemary, and bake until it is golden brown on top.
- Let it cool in the pan for a few minutes, then run a knife around the edges to release the loaf from the pan.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Tips & substitutions
- You can use 1 ½ cups of leftover mashed potatoes in this recipe instead of a combination of raw and mashed potatoes.
- Sharp cheddar is the best in this bread, but you can use any kind of cheese. Try Pepper Jack for a spicy kick or smoked gouda to give the potato bread a lovely smoked flavor.
- No cayenne pepper? Try this Potato Cheese Bread recipe with chipotle powder instead.
- The fresh rosemary is optional, but it really adds a nice herb flavor.
- No cast iron pan? No worries, you can bake this bread in an oven-safe 8-inch baking dish.
- You can use whole milk if you don’t have any cream on hand.
There are few things better than a slice of this bread with butter on it, but it pairs perfectly with meals, too. Try it alongside a bowl of soup, with a salad, or with a saucy meal like chili. Put a freshly sliced loaf on a breakfast board, or pack a slice or two into your lunch. There are so many ways to enjoy this delicious bread!
Wrap any leftover bread tightly in plastic wrap or a zipper-top bag and store it in the fridge for a day. You can also freeze this bread. Slice it and then freeze it, removing just as many slices as you need for a meal.
Check out these awesome bread recipes while you’re here
- Sour Cream Banana Bread
- Hot Herb Bread
- Irish Barmbrack Bread
- Pull-Apart Charcuterie Bread
- Ranch Cheese Bread
Get the Recipe:
Potato Cheese Bread
- ¾ cup cooked mashed potatoes, boil potatoes and mash
- ¾ cup raw grated potatoes, peel, grate, and drain any liquid
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup half and half cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 ¼ cups flour
- 1 ½ Tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the raw and mashed potatoes. Whisk until combined. Add the egg, egg white, both cheeses, half and half cream, and oil, and mix until completely incorporated.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt, stir to combine. If you’re adding cayenne pepper (for a kick), add it now.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until a soft dough is formed. Remove the dough onto a lightly floured flat space (cutting board or counter top) and kneed 6 -7 times.
- Gather the dough up and form a ball, placing it in an oiled 8 inch cast iron pan.
- Using a sharp knife, cut an x on the top of the dough. Brush with butter, and sprinkle with fresh chopped rosemary. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the pan, and remove the loaf from the pan.
- Continue to cool completely before slicing.