Potato-Fennel Gratin Recipe
This potato gratin recipe is the perfect side dish for a weeknight or holiday gathering! Ina Gartin’s Potato-Fennel Gratin Recipe is the best! WATCH THE VIDEO!
For Easter Sunday, or any time of year, this Potato-Fennel Gratin Recipe is a crowd pleaser!
Potato-Fennel Gratin Recipe
Enjoy a 9×13 pan of this scrumptious Ina Gartin’s Potato-Fennel Gratin Recipe! It’s is cheesy, creamy, and delicious!
Actually, you can serve it with any meat on the side, with a fresh vegetable.
It’s a great potato dish for a holiday brunch!
What is potato gratin?
Gratin is how you prepare an ingredient (potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, etc) that is is topped with a browned crust, often using breadcrumbs, grated cheese, egg or butter.
Gratin is a French cuisine method, usually prepared in a shallow dish of some kind.
We use a large baking pan, usually a 9×13 pan for this recipe!
You may also want to try my popular Cauliflower Bacon Gratin!
Ingredients for Potatoes-Fennel Gratin
- Fennel bulbs (you can usually buy 2 in a pack from Trader Joe’s)
- Yellow onion
- Good olive oil and usnsalted butter
- Russet potatoes
- Heavy cream and Gruyère cheese (this cheese just makes this recipe!)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
What does potato gratin go with?
There are so many dishes that you can serve potato gratin with, like Slow Cooker Short Ribs, Simple Chicken Parmigiana Recipe, and Pork Tenderloin.
We also love it for spring and summer with our Grilled Cornish Game Hens!
How to make Potato-Fennel Gratin
Easy to make ahead, I like to make the day before so it’s ready to pop in the oven the day of the party!
Start with gorgeous fennel bulbs.
Chopped and sauted with onion.
Sliced potatoes using this amazing OXO mandoline.
Baked to perfection!
Make the gratin potatoes the day before
I often double the recipe and make 2 pans the day before a dinner party.
You can warm them in the oven before serving!
Get the Recipe:
Ina Garten's Potato-Fennel Gratin
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, 4 large potatoes
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese, 1/2 pound
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter the inside of a 10-by-15-by-2-inch (10-cup) baking dish.
- Remove the stalks from the fennel and cut the bulbs in half lengthwise. Remove the cores and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise, making approximately 4 cups of sliced fennel. Saute the fennel and onions in the olive oil and butter on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Peel the potatoes, then thinly slice them by hand or with a mandoline. Mix the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with 2 cups of cream, 2 cups of Gruyère, salt, and pepper. Add the sauteed fennel and onion and mix well.
- Pour the potatoes into the baking dish. Press down to smooth the potatoes. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of cream and 1/2 cup of Gruyère and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until the potatoes are very tender and the top is browned and bubbly. Allow to set for 10 minutes and serve.